You may already know that medical tourism involves traveling to another country in order to get medical or dental care. But what you may not know, is just how big the medical tourism industry has become, the most popular destinations, top treatment options, and so on.
And so without further delay, the SkyMedicus team is pleased to provide you with some useful medical tourism statistics (per the Medical Tourism Association, Patients Beyond Borders and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), respectively), along with some fun facts that you might find quite eye opening!
Medical Tourism Statistics
- The size of the global medical tourism industry is estimated between $45.5 and $72 billion.
- Among patients, the number one motivation for choosing medical tourism is to save money, and the number two motivation is to access higher quality care than they can get at home.
- On average, patients spend between $3,800 and $6,000 for their entire medical tourism trip (including flight, accommodation, transportation, etc.).
- 65% of patients who take advantage of medical tourism are not covered by insurance.
- The top destinations for medical tourism include: Costa Rica, Mexico, India, Israel, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey.
- It’s estimated that 1.4 million Americans take advantage of medical tourism each year, and the number is expected to grow.
- The most common medical tourism procedures include: cosmetic surgery, dentistry, heart surgery, orthopedics, cancer treatment, reproductive treatments, weight loss.
Medical Tourism Fun Facts
Did you know that…
- Many surgeons and doctors working abroad were trained in the U.S., and have returned to their home countries to provide care to both local populations and medical tourists.
- The cost savings of medical tourism are so large, that many patients choose to spend extra time in rehab or in a 5-star hotel. Neither of these options would be possible at home due to the excessive costs.
- Many hospitals, clinics and practices abroad specialize in catering to medical tourists from the U.S., Canada, and other countries where the costs of medical and dental care are unaffordable.
- An increasing number of doctors in the U.S. support medical tourism for their patients, because they realize it’s the only way they can get the affordable care they need. Many insurance companies and employers are also getting on board because of the dramatic cost savings.
- A small number of medical tourism companies (including SkyMedicus) have secure, HIPAA-certified web portals that allow people to communicate directly with prospective surgeons and doctors around the world. They can also safely transmit X-rays, medical charts, and other important health information.
To learn more about medical tourism, contact the SkyMedicus team today. Your consultation with us is free, and there’s never any obligation to book your trip with us.
For more information about medical tourism and factors to consider before booking your first trip, download our FREE eBook:
Topics: Medical Tourism