Orthodontics is dentistry that focuses on a person's bite, as well as crooked, overcrowded, or misaligned teeth. During an initial examination, the following is performed: Oral evaluation, photographs, impressions of the teeth and x-rays with possible CT scan.
The most common orthodontic treatment is the placement of braces; which gradually move the teeth into the ideal position in a person's mouth and approves both the appearance and functionality. The following are the different types of braces available:
• Invisalign - used to correct crossbites, crowding, gaps, overbites, and underbites. They are used for non-severe cases and are virtually invisible when on the teeth. Treatment takes on average 6 months to 1 year and does not require frequent doctor visits, as you are mailed replacement trays for your teeth that do most of the adjustments gradually.
• Lingual Braces - A metal brace that attaches to the back surfaces of teeth and is not visible on the outside. This method is used to treat a bad bite, overcrowding, or extensive gaps within the mouth. This treatment usually takes 1-3 years to be complete.
• Inman Aligners - These braces have a metal bar that runs across the front of the teeth and are semi-transparent and removable. The typical treatment period for this type of braces is 6-16 weeks (worn 20-24 hours per day).
• Damon Brace - This is the most common type of braces where there are brackets on the teeth and a wire is used to easily adjust the teeth into place over time due to tightening of the wire. This treatment usually takes 1-3 years to be complete.
• Invu Braces - These are similar to Damon braces, but the brackets are made of ceramic instead of metal. This treatment usually takes 1-3 years to be complete.