General Dentistry encompasses the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the teeth, gums, and jaw. This area of Dentistry is highly seen as preventative, and dentists practicing in this area focus on oral hygiene and tooth health. Procedures in these areas include:
• Fillings-a variety of fillings can be used: gold, amalgam (silver), porcelain and composite resin (white).
• Crowns-"caps" that are placed over broken or damaged teeth to help keep the functionality of the original tooth.
• Bridge-a structure containing an artificial tooth or multiple teeth that are connected to 2 crowns on each end that are placed over 2 natural teeth on either side to anchor. They are referred to by some as a permanent denture.
• Root Canal-necessary when the nerve or tissue within a tooth becomes infected.
• Dentures-false teeth attached to a mouth plate that can be removed and replaced.
• Dental Cleaning-typically called scaling of the teeth (removing tarter above or below the gums) followed by a polish and brief advice on personal flossing/brushing techniques.
• Oral and Face/Jaw treatments-includes correcting bite issues that may cause TMJ or issues that cause pain in the jaw, neck or surrounding areas.